Late Fall Session
Download the schedule to see what levels are offered at any specific time. Classes may not be available based on enrollment. You may contact the Parks and Recreation office to check availability, but participants cannot register over the phone.
Rules for Parents
Parents will not be allowed on the deck during lessons. You may walk your child to the start area of their lesson but once in the water, all parents must go to the balcony to view class.
Children registered in the wrong level will be transferred to the correct level if there is space available. If the correct class is not available, participants will be removed and credits will be applied to the household for future registrations.
Refunds after the classes begin are for documented medical reasons only. Refunds are not given for failure to participate.
SWIM LEVEL PLACEMENT GUIDE
Proper placement is very important. Your child should be challenged, but not overwhelmed. The following list indicates the minimum requirements your child should possess for each level on the first day of class.
If they are unable to complete the skills, they will be moved to the lower level, if space allows. If there is no opening, a credit will be issued for a future registration, but classes will not be overloaded, and for the safety of the entire class, they will not be allowed to stay in the upper level.
- Children should be 6 months to 3 years old, with little or no water experience.
- Parent or guardian is in the water with the child, taking direction from an instructor.
- It is recommended that you discuss taking lessons with your child's pediatrician before starting a swimming class under age 1.
- Children, three years old and new to the Orange Town Pool Swimming Lesson Program must participate in the Infant Toddler class for at least one session before moving to the Preschool level.
- The Infant Toddler instructor will advise parents on promoting all three years olds.
- Children in Preschool are 3 to 5 years old, with little water experience.
- They must be able to separate from their parent and participate safely in the water alone.
- TO PASS PRESCHOOL your child can hold their breath, submerge their head fully, bob, and swim 15 feet on their front and back without help or flotation.
- Children must have passed Preschool or turned 5 years of age.
- If your child is 5, and taking lessons for the first time, they may want to take a session of Preschool to get familiar with the facility, the classes, and the structure, before enrolling in Beginner.
- Any 5 year with a fear of the water or separation issues should remain in Preschool until that is resolved.
- TO PASS BEGINNER 1 your child can jump in deep water unassisted and recover to the surface, swim 1/2 a lap of freestyle , face in, breathing to the side, swim 1/2 lap of backstroke, with correct body position and arms fully recovering, and they can tread water for 15 seconds or longer.
- Children must have passed Beginner 1
- Or be over 5 years of age and can jump in deep water unassisted and recover to the surface, swim 1/2 a lap of freestyle , face in, breathing to the side, and swim 1/2 lap of backstroke, with correct body position and arms fully recovering, and they can tread water for 15 seconds or longer.
- TO PASS BEGINNER 2 your child can swim 25yds freestyle with rotary breathing, 25 yards backstroke with full arm recovery, can enter the side headfirst, retrieve something off the bottom, and can tread water for 30 seconds or longer.
- Children have passed Beginner 2
- Or can swim 25 yards of front crawl with arms out of the water and rotary. They can also swim 25 yards of backstroke and dive into deep water independently, and tread water for at least 30 seconds.
- TO PASS ADVANCED BEGINNER your child can do a standing dive from the side of the pool, swim 50 yards of freestyle and backstroke, execute a coordinated breast stroke and butterfly for 1/2 a lap, swim 3 lengths underwater, and tread water for at least 1 minute.
Swim Team Development
- Children have passed Advanced Beginner
- Or can can do a standing dive from the side of the pool, swim 50 yards of freestyle and backstroke, execute a coordinated breast stroke and butterfly for 1/2 a lap, swim 3 lengths underwater, and tread water for at least 1 minute.