Current Job Openings
Full-time union position with benefits, 37.50 hours- 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M – F. Office time and inspections fall within this daily schedule. Starting salary $60,859. Under the supervision of the First Selectman, administers and enforces the Building Code of the State of Connecticut and all other codes or regulations relative to the structure, design, or condition of buildings located in the Town of Orange. Develops, administers and oversees department policies and procedures.
Applicants must have five years experience in housing construction, construction inspections, or the equivalent. Must be Certified as a State of Connecticut Building Official and maintain a current Building Official License. Must possess a valid State of Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Position expected to be filled end of June 2014. Submit resume and letter of interest to First Selectman James M. Zeoli, 617 Orange Center Road, Orange, CT 06477 or email to email@example.com by May 30, 2014.
Under the supervision of the First Selectman, administers and enforces the Building Code of the State of Connecticut and all other codes or regulations relative to the structure, design, or condition of buildings located in the Town of Orange. Develops, administers and oversees department policies and procedures.
This is a full time position – 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Office time and inspections fall within this daily schedule.
- Reviews and evaluates applications for building permits for Code compliance and historic district regulations. Assists applicants in the submission of acceptable applications; issues construction permits and certificates of occupancy. Estimates value of construction costs, computes, collects and records permit fees.
- Makes regular field inspections of construction sites, ensuring contractors’ compliance with all relevant codes and regulations. Responds to code violation complaints, issues verbal and written citations and stop work orders when necessary. Brings violators into compliance.
- Interprets any questions relative to the mode or manner of construction or materials and approves modifications in accordance with the intent of the code.
- Makes periodic inspection of all town buildings and gives technical assistance on all structural, electrical, plumbing, or HVAC problems.
- Coordinates review of permit applications with other Town departments and appropriate agencies.
- Other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of all state and local laws, regulations, ordinances and codes pertaining to scope of the position.
- Knowledge of and understanding of present and emerging construction materials, methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to understand blueprints and construction plans.
- Excellent communication skills and able to maintain a high level of customer services.
- The ability to understand, interpret and apply the tenets of state and local construction codes and regulations.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS:
Uses hand tools such as rulers, tape measures, etc.
Uses office equipment such as telephone, calculator, personal computer, copy machine or fax machine.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to examine and make recommendations on plans submitted for approval.
- Working knowledge of building construction materials and the principles, practices, and the methods of building design.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable codes, referenced standards, and other regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of State Building Code, its supplements, and other applicable regulations.
- Ability to perform research and prepare technical reports.
- Ability to apply state and federal laws, Town ordinances, departmental policies, procedures, rules and regulations to determine necessary action.
- Ability to analyze, review and disseminate large quantities of information to the proper authorities.
- Ability to handle and process a high volume of paperwork accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to operate data and word processing equipment.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to apply the principles of construction inspection to solve practical field problems.
- Ability to interpret plan specifications and a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form.
- Ability to monitor new issues and techniques appropriate to the construction field.
- Knowledge of land records and other related legal documents.
- Ability to use computer terminal to access, process and retrieve information contained in file records and computer databases.
- Knowledge and ability in computer applications for data management, planning analysis and report preparation.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze problems and to develop and implement programs and activities to address these problems.
- Ability to assign, train and supervise office staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to greet the public and offer assistance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Town officials, staff, advisory boards and participants in the development process.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and evaluate the work of others.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL AND MENTAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Ability to sit/stand/remain continuously for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to perform gross body coordination and perform tasks that require hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to see objects closely as in reading a map.
- Ability to hear normal sounds with some background noise and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to concentrate on fine detail with constant interruption.
- Ability to attend to task/function for more than 60 minutes at a time.
- Ability to remember multiple tasks/assignments given to self and others over long periods of time.
- Ability to work in office setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
- Exposure to video display terminals on a daily basis.
- Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines and changing priorities and conditions.
- Ability to file letters, correspondence reports, etc. in file cabinet drawers ranging from 1” to 7’ from the floor.
- Ability to move throughout Town Hall and other Town buildings and sites.
- Ability to work in poor weather conditions including heat, cold, rain or snow.
- Ability to access and reach difficult places and varied terrain for inspection purposes.
- Ability to carry reports and office equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to get into and out of automobile.
- Ability to utilize and access overhead cabinet storage space.
- Ability to physically inspect construction activities.
- Ability to walk distances over one mile on terrain under construction or underdeveloped.
- Ability to work in variable weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
High school graduation, plus specialized trades training.
Five years experience in housing construction, construction inspections, or the equivalent.
Must be Certified as a State of Connecticut Building Official and maintain a current Building Official License.
Must possess a valid State of Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
On Call Nurse For Weekends Needed
RN with current homecare experience.
Knowledge of Allscripts preferred or experience with another point of care program.
Please email resume to jbenson@orange-CT.gov or fax to 203-891-2169.
Equal Opportunity Employer