The rolling hills which make up the 17.6 square miles of Orange, located just west of New Haven, were once owned by the Paugusset Indians. In 1639, the Rev. Peter Prudden purchased the land from the Indians for six coats, ten blankets, one kettle, twelve hatchets, twelve hoes, two dozen knives and a dozen small mirrors. Orange remained a simple farming community until the mid-1940's when postwar residential construction began. Proper zoning foresight has let Orange develop into an open, well-planned residential community which retains the New England simplicity of which the residents are proud.
Orange is a desirable town in which to live, as evidenced by the above-average school system, a wide range of community services and easy access to urban areas of the state using Routes 1, 15, 34 and I-95, all of which traverse Orange.
Our website is offered to enable residents and visitors alike to learn more about Orange.
Click here to view a segment from Cablevision's "Neighborhood Journal" featuring the town of Orange!
Click here to view an online video about the Case Memorial Library!
Click here to take a Public Opinion Survey regarding the Multi-Jurisdiction Hazard Mitigation Plan for Orange.
|Click here to learn more about the Town of Orange Prescription Discount Card Program.|
Quick Reference Phone NumbersTown Hall Depts.
|Registrar of Voters||891-4767|
|Board of Education||891-8020|
|Parks & Recreation||891-4790|
|Visiting Nurse Association||891-4752|
Residential Utilities Providers
Electric - United Illuminating
Gas - Southern CT Gas (203-382-8111)
Water - South Central CT Regional Water Authority
Cable - Cablevision of Southern CT (203-336-2225) Satellite - DIRECTV (855-877-3473)
Links to Related Websites
- Agency on Aging of South Central Connecticut
- Case Memorial Library
- Connecticut Conference of Municipalities
- Connecticut General Assembly
- Connecticut General Statutes
- Connecticut Judicial Branch
- District Animal Control
- Fireman's Carnival
- Garden Club of Orange
- Housatonic River Estuary Commission
- Orange Arts and Culture Council
- Orange Chamber of Commerce
- Orange Community Emergency Response Team
- Orange Country Fair
- Orange Town Charter, Ordinances, Regulations
- Orange Historical Society
- Orange Economic Development Corporation
- Orange Open Farms Day
- Orange Recycling Committee
- Orange Rotary
- Orange Senior Center
- Orange Special Events Committee
- Orange Visiting Nurses Association
- ROOF (Real Options, Overcoming Foreclosure)
- State of Connecticut
- Street Map of Orange
Census Report (as of 2011)
Total Population - 13,817
Population Density - 804 per square mile
Median Age - 45
Total Households - 4,903
Total School Enrollment - 2,521
Mill Rate - 30.2%
Orange Town Hall is located at 617 Orange Center Road, Orange, CT 06477.